Business Analyst / Product Owner role
Job Title: Business Analyst/Product Owner (AGILE)
Reports to: Software Development Manager
- Provide a strategic vision and clear direction to the project teams, taking ownership of the product and following AGILE best practices to provide structure and clarity.
- Manage the product Backlog in terms of creating user stories, prioritising backlog items and managing requirement changes.
- Identify, clarify and translate client requirements; ensure ongoing testing and acceptance of each stage of development and act as interface between client and development team.
Defining Project Parameters
- Facilitate open discussion during scoping and requirements meetings with clients, probing and clarifying carefully to develop a keen understanding of what the client is trying to achieve and how value will be added to the client through the development of the software solution (the end result).
- Work with the Senior Developers to explore available technical solutions, consider new technologies, establish and refine project aims, deliverables and timescales to ensure a high quality project can be delivered which offers best value to the client while meeting agreed profit margins for the business
- Lead and contribute to the development of clear and detailed project plan and requirements documentation using the progressive elaboration technique ensuring all technical aspects of the project are fully scoped out and appropriate resources allocated to ensure successful delivery.
- Convert these requirements to user stories.
- Responsible for drafting product specifications and requirements documents and working with the Senior Developer to split the project into sprints for development work.
Project Methodology & Documentation
- Define AGILE project requirements; constructing feature roadmaps to scope the structure and delivery timelines.
- Develop clear wireframing and prototype screens to define structure and to identify potential issues at an early stage.
- Develop and manage sign-off protocols at defined stages throughout the SDLC in line with requirements documentation and contractual agreements.
Project Management and Delivery
- Lead the delivery of a number of projects for different clients at any one time, maintaining a clear strategic vision across all project work and that resources are available to meet the demands of each project as each stage through the SDLC.
- Undertake effective risk management to minimise project risks and to deal with any issues that may arise.
- Manage and prioritise Backlog items and managing change to the Backlog items.
- Liaise effectively with colleagues across the business to allocate development and other tasks to individual team members.
- Manage work in progress and ensure workflow is consistently meeting project milestones and delivery timescales.
- Work with Senior Developers to find creative and innovative solutions to technical problems; producing documentation and reference guides to build a library of resources of these solutions to inform future work.
- Develop test criteria for stories and ensure these are embedded into project plans at appropriate stages to ensure issues are identified early and time is afforded for any amendments or changes required as a result of issues raised through the testing process.
- Liaise closely with the Business Analyst and client throughout the SDLC providing updates on progress, discussing any necessary changes and offering training or guidance to the client’s end users as necessary.
- Ensure a clean delivery of the end product to the client and that any necessary aftercare or support is made available to the client.
- Proactively manage the client relationship from initial contact, through development and delivery to post-delivery support – providing regular updates, responding to queries within agreed timeframes and dealing with all communications.
- Shield the development team from client contact, taking ownership of all client communications and providing the development team with a funnel through which all client communications are channelled.
- Be the clients’ point of contact between the development team and the client, translating client demands into technical requirements and technical queries into language that can be easily understood by the client.
Quality Assurance - UAT Testing
- Develop effective user stories and define acceptance criteria to ensure focussed and relevant UAT testing.
- Responsible for customer UAT of all projects, ensuring robustness of test plans, and execution methodologies.
- Identify, trace and reconcile missing details.
- Create clear documentation to support UAT standards and to support the testing process.
- Provide clear and timely feedback to development team on the outcome of testing to ensure issues are identified and resolved to meet delivery deadlines.
- Work proactively with other project team members to ensure the integrity and robustness of proposed solutions.
- Undertake comprehensive lessons learned reviews for all completed projects ensuring that improvement actions are shared and implemented.
- Maintain and continuously develop an understanding of effective project management and technical techniques and expertise and share these with colleagues to help position the business as a leading provider of innovative software solutions.
- Recommend controls by identifying problems; defining and documenting improved procedures.
- Evolve cost estimate models to continue to improve the mechanisms used to estimate internal and customer software projects.
- Initiate regular reviews and analyses of current processes using operational metrics and reports.
- Understand and communicate the financial and operational impact of any changes.
- Assist in the evolution and improvement of internal systems as required.
- Suggest changes using analytics to support your recommendations. Actively participate in the implementation of approved changes.
- Help define and evolve requirement gathering techniques and models based on lessons learned and continuous improvement.
- Act as an ambassador for the company at all times, ensuring the core values of Quality, Simplicity and Innovation are embedded into all we do.
- Proactively work to establish and maintain a learning mindset; actively sharing knowledge and expertise with the wider team.
- Any other duties as required to support the work of the company.
- Deep understanding of software development platforms with high levels of technical aptitude.
- Strategic and analytical approach; able to quickly form an overall vision of the projects and to translate this into clear stories and roadmaps.
- Systematic and highly methodical approach with an ability to analyse, clarify and develop a shared understanding of client requirements and to identify creative, quality and cost effective solutions to deliver these.
- Proven ability to multitask and to manage the conflicting demands of a number of varied projects and clients at any one time.
- Learning mindset with excellent problem solving abilities and a pragmatic approach.
- Strong leadership, facilitation and mentoring skills and an ability to work constructively with others in a collaborative environment.
- Excellent listening and communication skills with a proven ability to influence and persuade others.
- Strong ability to develop and write requirements and project documentation which is easily understood by both developers and other colleagues and by the clients themselves.
- Highly organised self-starter with a proven ability to effectively implement change at organisational level.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Qualifications & Experience:
- Minimum of 3 years working in a similar business analyst/product owner role within a commercial AGILE/SCRUM environment.
- Strong working knowledge of software development platforms.
- Proven client management skills and expertise in a commercial, projects-driven environment.
- Proven people management skills and expertise of managing individuals in a knowledge industry.
- Familiarity with and experience of using Prince 2 or similar project principles would be advantageous.
Evoke IT is a well-established and fast growing team offering a diverse range of software solutions to clients across a number of sectors. Examples of our work are available to view on the ‘case studies’ section of our website.
Our team are friendly, focussed and hardworking. At Evoke IT, we encourage a learning mind-set and a collaborative approach to delivering high quality solutions. Our current vacancies are all newly created posts and therefore we would anticipate you having a large part to play in developing and shaping your new role to meet the emerging needs of the team and wider business.
This post is based in our office in the West End of Aberdeen. Parking is available on a shared basis and car-sharing and public transport use is encouraged. We work a 40 hour week with core hours of 0830 – 1700, with annual leave of 28 days per year, inclusive of public holiday entitlement. Should you have any queries in relation to the vacancies or working with us, please feel free to contact us for a chat.